Saturday, February 6, 2010


Classes started this week. It is hard to believe that we have to do real people things here, but alas, we do. The classes are actually interesting. It’s a little too early to say whether or not they are difficult or not, but taking college level classes with 20 or so others is a bit of a new concept for me, being a Sophomore at a Big Ten. One cool thing,- my European Union teacher actually worked for the EU for nearly 15 years. You can’t beat that.

Italian class was by far the most interesting. The placement exam was a quick written test followed by a one on one conversation with the teacher. Fairly terrifying. But I placed in intermediate and thoroughly enjoyed my first class where we spoke a lot, mostly using tenses I haven’t thought about for months. I will definitely learn a lot.

I am still at the point where tourist sites make me giddy. Today we went to the Capuchin Crypt also known as the “bone chapel.” This crypt is wallpapered in the Bones of nearly 4,000 friars. Skulls cover one entire wall while hundreds of pieces of spine creatively compose the moldings. It is very difficult to wrap your head around the concept that these are actual pieces of humans covering nearly every inch of the chapel. Even the light fixtures are made of pelvic bones and dangle only a foot or so from your face. But just incase you forgot the severity of this chapel’s chosen decorations, a plaque at the end of the chapel reminds you:

What you are now we used to be; what we are now you will be...”

Really, really cool. One of my more favorite things I’ve seen here. And since pictures are not allowed, heres one from the interwebs:


Studying abroad is worth it if only for the spontaneity. I booked my spring break trip in Spain, along with weekend trips to Prague, Siena/Pisa, and Dublin. I really feel that someone should be preventing me from doing this. I am not old enough to just book planes all over Europe. But I am grateful for this huge oversight and am beyond excited to see some Europe outside of Italy.

Having said that, my love for this city of Rome is ever growing. Sure, we are all kinda still getting used to living in this foreign place, we still hit up the American bars pretty frequently and my roommate's search for legitimate ranch dressing is a grave one- but every time I figure out a little more of the bus system or speak Italian to a native speaker and they actually understand me, I swear I get high. I think I’m the happiest on an average day after class when I stop at the bar for a cappuccino and then head over to the grocery real quick before I continue to make my way to my apartment. The little life things are the best part. And then I just fall in love with Roma a little harder.

No comments:

Post a Comment